our place in the community....
The congregation of St. Andrew’s Church and then Cathedral was begun with services held on May 20th
and June 17th in 1906 by Bishop Du Vernet in Hydrographic Survey and Grand Truck Railways camps
In the first 50 years, nearly 1500 children and adults were baptised, nearly 1000 couples united in marriage
and nearly 800 people buried. During this time a talented choir of up to 20 voices led the services of worship. Sunday Schools, Boy Scouts and Girl Guides troops, a men’s club and two branches of what became
the ACW (Anglican Church Women) flourished.
Even in the lifetime of some of our current parishioners, there are fond memories of an active
Sunday School, a choir leading worship along with music provided by our 1926-purchased pipe
organ and/or piano, and an active youth ministry.
There has long been a good sense of God’s Presence, a spiritual peace and serenity about the place.
For some in the Cathedral, there is a strong sense of family rootedness.
Liturgy has been well organized and well done. As well, events held by the Parish have been very
well received, including bi-annual teas, seniors’ events, family events, Shrove Tuesday meals which
were prepared by the menfolk and served by the ladies, St. Patrick’s Day festivities and so on.
We have historically enjoyed the support of strong matriarchs from amongst the Metlakatla and
Nishga’a nations amongst the Tsimshian. For a time, there was not a lot of connection between
cathedral clergy and the indigenous populations, but thankfully we are working to amend that sad situation.
We are a smaller congregation now, but a welcoming one,
and our hope is to begin growing alongside the city in its growth.
The city lies at the end of the interprovincial Yellowhead highway (BC16) as well as being the northwest terminus for the Canadian National Railway.
Prince Rupert itself is a major port city, ranked in third in most lists of Canadian ports, with a massive reach to a worldwide market. It is the port of call for export of most of Canada’s natural resources.
The port welcomes numerous cruise ships each summer season to the city, and we do our best to provide a welcome here in the church for cruising visitors.
Although in recent years the population has fallen to 12,220 souls according to the 2016 census, the Mayor and Council have set in motion a 10-year vision (through 2030) to expand the city, its housing, the business centre
and population base, working in partnership with the Port Authority and the area First Nations.
4,670 residents of the city identify as being Indigenous (2,240 male and 2,425 female), or 38% of the city. A
further 1,485 people (approximately 12%; 710 male and 775 female) identify as being part of a visible minority,
the majority being South or Southeast Asian or Filipino. In 2016, the majority of the population, 67.6%, were between the ages of 15-64.
The existing mission statement of the Parish is “To See God, to Seek God, and to Serve God, serving
those around us.” This grew from our earlier mission statement, that under the Headship of Jesus
Christ, we wish to be an informed, involved, caring and worshipping community.